Tuesday, June 15, 2010

NETS-T and NETS-S

When looking at at the ISTE's site and looking at the National Educational Technology Standards for teachers and students, on could clearly see how both are related. They have the standards that each students should know by time they leave school, and they then have standards of things that teachers need to be implementing in their classrooms to get their students to practice the 21st century skills they will need when they enter the real world. The teacher standards are the guidelines for what each teacher should use to engage their students. What is mapped out for them is plan for them to look at when developing lessons and assessing student learning. The students guidelines go hand in hand with this. Teachers could look at the student guidelines and see if their students can master these standards, and if not, the teacher needs to make accommodations to lessons to help their students improve in these area. Students can also use their guidelines as a assessment tool to grade their performance in these areas, and to see what areas they need improvement in. If I were to use the GAME plan process, I would use it very similar to the way it was used in our course. I would have my students look at the National Educational Technology Standards for students, and I would have them select two indicators that they felt they needed to make improvements in. I would have to tally up the results to see what areas I need to focus more on in my classroom, and then I would have my students follow the GAME plan to come up with their own plan to meet these indicators. We would start out by writing goals, and try to come up with ways to accomplish these goals, and then at the end of the semester, we would re-evaluate our GAME plan, and try to make the adjustments as needed to reach our goals, much like we have been doing in this class. Students could then get an idea of the technology standards that they need to master, and they could get some practice with coming up with a GAME plan. I feel that my students could benefit a lot from coming up with some goals and tracking these goals to see if they accomplished what they set out to.

2 comments:

  1. Michael -

    I think you have a good plan for introducing the students to the NETS. I had not considered having them do something similar to what we have done in class. It is an interesting approach. I guess I looked at it more like how I would apply it to my lessons, but I am now wondering if your approach would be a good base for the students and then have them see where their assignments fit in to the goals that they are trying to reach. Do you think it is important for the students to know the NETS or just that they be able to achieve them through the activities that we create for them? Do you share the other standards within your content area with the students?

    You've got me thinking...

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael,

    I agree about the benefits of approaching a GAME plan the way you have outlined it here. I think it also allows students a chance to guide their education, and in my experience, when students feel they have control of what they are doing they are engaged more often than not. I think it is great that you also make sure to limit what students need to improve on so they can focus in on what skills they are lacking. Great plan!

    ReplyDelete