Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Evaluating My GAME Plan

This week we were supposed to evaluate our GAME plan. I first looked back at what I originally wanted to accomplish in my GAME plan. I wanted to make improvements in the first two standards, Facilitate and Inspire Student learning and Creativity, and Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments. To do this, I new that I needed to come up with lessons that would challenge my students and inspire them to learn by using their creativity, and I needed to do research to be able to develop lessons using digital tools that would give my students digital age learning experiences. First I began to collaborate with other teachers in my department to see what types of 21st century skills were being used by the other teachers that teach in the same area as I do. I found so great projects and mock trials that I would like to incorporate into my classes in the future. I then began to talk about what technology or digital tools they were using in their classes, and I told them the ones that I wanted to learn more about, podcasts, and video conferencing and distance learning. I asked if there were any other teachers who were interested in learning how to implement these into their classes as well. What I found out was that multiple teachers were interested, and a couple of us began to do research on these tools. Since we have limited time because it is the end of the school year, it has helped to have more than one person doing the research to hopefully be able to use these tools in class next year. We have all been discussing how to use some of these tools, and we have been talking about how we could use some of these tools in our lessons. I feel the thing that we still need to do is talk to the technology department at our school. They have been busy changing our schools grading system and email, so as they get more time, we can discuss with them the steps we need to take to use these digital tools in class next year, and how we could use video conferencing and distance learning. I feel I have got the ball rolling and have gotten others involved, but it will be all for nothing if we do not continue to research and and find a way to use these in our classes next year. This will be when my real evaluation will be done.

2 comments:

  1. I agree. I don't really feel that I will know if I have accomplished my goals or not until I can implement what I have learned next year. I also found that the collaboration with my colleagues one of the best tools for my GAME plan. Sharing and bouncing ideas off of each other has been more effect in my discovery of new tools and ideas than magazines, blogs or anything else in my plan. We, too often, forget the incredible resource that our colleagues are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are fortunate to work with so many people who want to work together on this project. I think if you are able to keep in touch over the summer you may be able to implement some of the ideas that you are currently exploring. I know that much of my summer will be dedicated to a whole new group of lessons that I need to create beyond the ones that I have to reexamine to see if technology can be used to facilitate a better learning experience. Our World History Social Studies curriculum has been changed for next year so I will start next year in September with what I usually teach in January. Those of us faced with this change are hoping to work over the summer on these changes. I agree completely with Richard in that sometimes we do forget what a great resource our coworkers can be.

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete