Friday, March 6, 2009

Using technology to teach Social Studies

I am High School Social Studies teacher who is currently taking college courses to get my masters in Technology in the Classroom. We are currently doing an assignment where I have to create my own blog. This is pretty much my first experience with blogging. I didn't even know where to start. Being a person with very limited computer skills, this is all new and I'm sort of just feeling my way around. Since I have to make a blog page, I might as well make it worth while. What I am trying to find out is some ways that I could use technology in my classroom to teach my Social Studies classes. I am looking for any idea that you might have for me on any topic in Social Studies. Can you help me?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Michael,
    I just got done watching the DVD presentations for our course this week and I saw an idea related to Social Studies. You may have already seen it, but the teacher used blogging to post questions based around "What if you were there?" questions. For example if your working on a certain time period or important event, come up with a little blurb about it and then ask a question that requires the students to put them in that position and decide what they would do and why.
    I'm trying to think of what else.. Maybe you could post a picture or political cartoon for the students to comment on. I remember discussing political cartoons in High School, so that might work well. You could also discuss current events. Either have the students post a current event and comment on others or you post one.
    Hope this helps! I'm sure you could search for other Social Studies teachers' blogs and get ideas from there as well.

    ReplyDelete